Top 11 Last Minute Gifts
Top 11 Last Minute Charitable Christmas Gifts
Christmas is getting closer but it's not too late to do something to make a difference this holiday. The unique items below can be given with the best intentions—to help others. There’s still time to get a notification card sent to the recipient but even if you wait, you can send the notice of the present by email or in many cases, you can print out your own card to hand to your friend or family member.
1. Alternative Gifts International - $11 pays for a share of a yak for orphaned and destitute children in the Tibetan regions of remote western China.
2. Spend $25 or more to free forced labor slaves with International Justice Mission.
3. A llama from Heifer International - A share is $20 while a whole llama is $150. Heifer provides all kinds of animals from chicks to water buffalo to families that can use them to generate income and useful resources for the family.
4. A chicken from Mercy Corps International - for $35, it provides eggs and future hatchlings as well.
5. School supplies from Oxfam American Unwrapped - for $25 you can provide School supplies like rulers, notebooks, erasers, pencils, and pens that mean that a child will have the necessary tools for class.
6. Mosquito Nets for a family from Plan International - for $50 you can save a family of seven from mosquito-transmitted malaria, the number one killer of children under five all over Africa.
7. Shelter in refugee camps from International Rescue Committee - $54 provide sets of rope and durable plastic sheeting to help four families construct temporary shelters in refugee camps, keeping them safe from the elements.
8. Books for children from Trees for Life International - from $5 to $100 you can provide 1 to 20 books for children in their native language.
9. Small business loan from World Vision International - for $100 you can help an impoverished woman start or expand her business so she can feed, clothe and educate her children. The loans are repaid and then used to provide new loans to others.
10. Give food for a year to a child so he or she can stay in school for $50 through World Food Programme.
11. Good Card (any amount) - If you can't decide what to get, then let the recipient decide. You pay for the value on the card and the recipient chooses a charity to which it will be donated.
Happy last minute shopping!