Overwhelmed No Longer



Photo courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net
 
Okay, I’m overwhelmed. My new Christian novel Behind the Stage is coming out in two weeks. I’m getting my website ready, researching credit card machines you can use on your smartphone, setting up book signings and all this is on top of what I am usually doing (work, school, Relay for Life steering committee and, oh yeah, taking care of my family). 

Not only that, but next Friday is the celebration of several great events, not just Valentine’s Day. It’s National Donor Day, V-Day, and International Book Giving Day. It’s also part of Random Acts of Kindness week and February 15 is National Make a Blanket Day.

Whew! Now I’ve got that all said, I can’t write about all of those things in one week, so a few will have to wait until later. 

It’s funny. I’ve had this feeling of being overwhelmed many times and also the feeling of having no control over things. But once I’ve decided that I can’t do it all, I can focus on what I can do. Then the feeling of having some modicum of control comes back. 

I know that I can’t make anyone else do a thing, but I can decide what I am going to do with the 24 hours I get each day and whatever other resources I have. It’s all about priorities, what’s important to me. 

I’m sorry I didn’t have this blog done last night so it was posted early today. That’s what I normally do on Thursday night. And, believe it or not, I could have taken time to do it last night, but I didn’t. Why? Because I was feeling overwhelmed and I needed to take time to be with my family. I also needed to just sit and not obsess over what I had to do next. 

But now I need to decide what I can do with my time today. I have lots to do for Relay for Life. It’s actually national Wear Red Day today so I can wear red and remind people about National Heart month. I also can plan what I’ll be writing about for the next few weeks so I’m not as stressed when Thursday night rolls around.

As for all those wonderful days being celebrated next Friday, I am already an organ donor and there’s not enough time for me to organize a dance for V-day. 

However, I can do something for International Book Giving Day. I’ve been giving my books to libraries at churches ever since I’ve had it available, and today the local library where I lived for almost 12 years asked me to donate some to them. I can do that. 

Today, I’m taking control of what I can do instead of feeling bogged down in all that I want or feel I need to do. That’s really all I can do. Here’s hoping you’re not feeling overwhelmed this week and you really enjoy the upcoming Valentine’s Day (as well as all those other celebrations). God Bless!

Comments

Post a Comment

Post comments here. Thank you for joining in the discussion!

Popular posts from this blog

2013 Holiday Gifts That Give List

Remember

Today I'm Going to Pray